Careers – Shelter Client Advocate, Pool Staff
Job Classification: On-call, Part Time
Salary Range: $18.00 per hour; paid semi-monthly
Department: Housing Services Program
Reporting Manager: Laura Morales, Housing Services Manager
Location of job: Confidential Emergency Shelter
To Apply: Email Resume and Cover Letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Human Resources
**Bilingual in English and Spanish is required for this position.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Shelter Client Advocate’s provide vital services that fall in line with all aspects of Coalition for Family
Harmony’s mission; including providing direct services to victims of domestic violence and sexual
assault, educating the community regarding violence against women, children, and men, and
working to prevent the cycle of violence. This mission is carried out by Shelter Client Advocates
within the Coalition’s emergency shelter and on our organization’s 24-hour bilingual crisis hotline.
Fundamental Job Requirements
● Answering 24-hour crisis bilingual crisis hotline with the responsibility of providing peer and
crisis support and community referrals and connections to a variety of types of survivors.
● Provide daily interaction and/or peer counseling with shelter residents to ensure a
welcoming and safe residential space, provide on-site support, case management, and other
needs at the request of the shelter resident.
● Provision of food, water, clothing, and other household establishment items to residents of
the shelter as requested.
● Facilitate and maintain professional relationships with community partners, including law
enforcement and medical personnel.
● Provide transportation to various locations at the request of the shelter resident towards
the improvement of their case plan.
● Offer and provide advocacy to shelter residents and hotline callers towards criminal justice
or for the provision of social services.
● Court accompaniment and assistance with filing restraining orders and child custody; when
needed facilitate contact with Coalition’s Family Law Attorney for further legal needs.
● Intake and Exit processes for shelter residents.
● Remain updated and participate in trainings relevant to domestic violence survivors in
shelter programs, shelter policies and procedures, and general topics in the domestic
● Maintain shelter client files and collection of statistical documents as required by California
Emergency Management Agency, Ventura County Human Services Agency, and other
funders of the emergency shelter program.
● Dispatch on-call Rape Crisis Advocate over emergency hotline to respond to medical/legal
● Assisting residents with finding employment/income, housing, resume writing, etc.
● Donation organization and supply management.
● Database management and statistical report completion.
● Following training, coverage for Front Desk Coordinator at Oxnard Main Office may be
included in Pool Staff coverage requests.
● This position will serve to fill in shifts for regular staff during holidays, vacation and sick time
and when more staffing is required. �
● The shelter is staffed 24 hours per day, 7days per week. This position will cover any shift in
● Due to the essential functions of this job, including the crisis hotline and emergency shelter,
arriving for your shift on time is an essential requirement.
● This position is eligible for overtime benefits.
● Bachelor’s Degree in social, psychological, or social services background preferred.
● Must obtain Domestic Violence Counselor certification that meets the requirements under
California Evidence Code 1037.1 within one year of hire date.
● Must obtain Sexual Assault Counselor certification that meets the requirements under
California Evidence Code 1305.2 within one year of hire date.
● Basic computer literacy in Microsoft Office programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel and
● Proficiency in entering statistical data points in Apricot system within 1 month.
● Basic knowledge of general office equipment is required.
● Regularly expanding knowledge base on topics of gendered violence, impacts of domestic
and sexual assault on the community, working with survivors of violence, and more by
reading literature, blog and news posts, etc. is expected.
● Knowledge of family law legal procedures preferred.
● Ability to speak English and Spanish fluently is a requirement.
● Must have the ability to communicate with clientele over phone, electronic correspondence
● 85% – 100% of the fundamental job requirements occur inside the emergency shelter
facility, a two-story single family home. This position is stationed in an office on the second
story of the shelter facility; the office is accessible through one flight of stairs.
● Up to three to four families may be residing in the shelter at one time, which includes adults
and children. There are times that the noise level in the shelter is elevated above normal
● Central air and heating is available in shelter and can be controlled by staff.
● May be required to stand, sit, stoop, bend, and lift/move up to 20 lbs.
● Coalition for Family Harmony may accommodate to these physical requirements upon
● Must be able to demonstrate working effectively with and showing respect to all survivors
of violence, including those from diverse ethnic, cultural, religious, socioeconomic, sexual
preferences and/or identities, gender identities/expression, and political backgrounds.
● Ability to communicate and write clearly and professionally is required.
● Must demonstrate ability to navigate crisis and solving problems independently, using best
judgment and critical thinking skills.
● Must maintain a positive, friendly, and welcoming attitude with staff and residents at
emergency shelter and within the organization.
● Must utilize assertiveness, professionalism and non-violent communication when handling
issues with residents or staff.
● Staff is expected to use initiative in approaching and working with residents of the shelter;
they are also expected to use initiative during down time to identify and work towards
● Must pass extensive background check
● Travel may be required for this position. Modes of transportation expected for this position
to utilize are by automobile or airplane.
● The option to telecommute (or to perform essential job duties at home) is assessed on a
case-by-case basis by Reporting Manager and, if necessary, by others on the management
Coalition for Family Harmony provides direct services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault; to
educate the community regarding violence against women, children and men; to prevent the cycle of violence.